RMIT Urban School
The RMIT Urban School is an exciting new initiative from the School of Education at RMIT University.
The RMIT vision of “Ready for Life and Work “is strongly identified within the continued development and expansion of its own inner-city Urban School that equips learners with agency, competencies and a sense of purpose, to shape their own lives and contribute to the lives of others.
The RMIT Urban School currently offers students a range of study options to plan their own futures with combinations of:
- VCE subjects
- vocational education subjects from existing RMIT certificates and diplomas
- first year RMIT university subjects
- RMIT microcredentials
Students have the opportunity to select from a wide range of offerings and plan their own futures through pathways and access to studies beyond the normal secondary school curriculum. All subjects offered match the RMIT mission of design, technology and enterprise and provide learners with access to courses to match our strong qualifications offerings at VE and HE.
All students will have the chance to complete a RMIT microcredential throughout their journey, which will be reflected in their transcripts of results.
Each learner at the RMIT Urban School will be guided by an Individual Pathways leader, who will assist in planning their learning journey.
All vocational and higher education subjects undertaken are accredited and may be counted for credit in formal qualifications.
Learners will have opportunities to connect with RMIT though learning contexts and projects in new and exciting ways to transform both their own lives and contribute to the wider RMIT community.
The RMIT Urban School provides opportunity and differentiation- it is a sector leader in deliberately creating pathways through connected educational sectors. It aims to offer life-changing experiences and partnerships with industry to shape the total student experience.
Typical Student Personas
Yu Yan is 14 years of age. She attends RMIT urban school. She arrived in Australia 2 years ago. She is undertaking five core courses in semester 1. These are:
- Foundation English undertaken on the urban school campus.
- Foundation Mathematics undertaken on the urban school campus
- A VCE Unit 3 Chinese course undertaken at a nearby language school
- A kite-making studio at the local pre-school undertaken with two other girls
- A STEM robotics course conducted by RMIT lecturer at the city campus
Yu Yan co-designed and planned her learning map with her family and advice and information from RMIT. She is tutored in Foundational English by a VE - EAL student once a week. The VE student gets credit for this tutoring. Yu is interested in pharmacy and wants to study at RMIT.
Callum is 16 years of age. He attends RMIT urban school and lives nearby. Callum is undertaking five core courses at RMIT school in semester 1. These are:
- A VCE English unit 1 undertaken on the urban school campus
- A VCAL course in electronics undertaken in the VET workshops at RMIT city campus
- A first year Introduction to Engineering course from the Bachelor of Engineering degree which is undertaken at RMIT city campus
- A drone-making studio, which he designed and leads at Carlton Primary school
- A VCE Mathematics unit 3 undertaken on the urban school campus
Callum co-designed and planned his learning map with advice and information available to him from RMIT. He wants eventually to study engineering at university and will have advanced access through his current studies. He also will keep his VET options open in electronics. Leadership is promoted through his hobby of drone-making. He is anchored to RMIT through the urban school and access to new opportunities and resources.
Angelo is 19 years of age and attends RMIT urban school. He transferred from another high school. He is undertaking five core courses in semester 1. These are:
- A VCE English unit 3 & 4 undertaken on the urban school campus
- A Mix live audio course from the Diploma of Music Industry which is undertaken at RMIT city campus
- A VCE Music Appreciation course undertaken on the urban school campus
- A Performance course from the Diploma of Music Industry which is undertaken at RMIT city campus.
Angelo did not get access to his preferred course and wants to produce music. He wants to be a producer and technician. He organises the school band to build his folio. He will get credit for the courses undertaken in the Diploma.